Up to 60% Off Daily Deal Products. Palmetto State Armory
The Ultimate Gun Belt, US Made, Lifetime Warranty, Free Shipping. Shop Now.
Gorilla Ammo Free Shipping when you order 10 Boxes or more.
Shop all the current Lone Wolf closeouts here

Go Back   The AK Files Forums > Rifle Forums > AK-47s

Notices

Old 07-17-2018, 09:40 PM   #1
TYR_762

AKaholic #: 185590
Default Gulf War AK info

Does anyone have any information on the variants used by sadams forces during the gulf war?

I have a friend who’s uncle served during the gulf war ..he had showed me some pictures of some ak’s that we’re picked up he knew I was into Ak’s and was asking if I knew anything about them

He stated that one was picked up along the “highway of death” on the way to Basra and almost nothing was left from the photos no furniture “charred finish” and the barrel was bent he took photos of the markings and the trunnions read (386) 56 then a serial number I assume.. the photo was cut off the rest

It looked like a type 56 had the hooded front sight and bayonet
I know very little about Chinese akm’s

The only thing I seen on (386) were polytech

The second one was in really good shape it was a milled underfolder
He said “they just dropped them and ran ...they were everywhere”
The trunnion read /26\ 56-1

Only info I’m finding on triangle 26 factory come back as SKS rifles

Both selector markings looked like L & D ?

I assume sometime the Chinese exported arms to Iraq before the tabuks

Thanks for anyone with any info

Like I said I know little of the Chinese variants

PER ARDUA!

Last edited by TYR_762; 07-17-2018 at 09:55 PM.
TYR_762 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2018, 10:06 PM   #2
Craigan

AKaholic #: 187609

There were every sort of ak and akm in Iraq when I was there. We had a few Polish and Romanian ones that we kept in our platoon armory. I don't think I saw many Russian variants of akm. I will say that actual Iraqi Tabuks were rather rare in comparison to the others.

Then again, this is OIF, and not the Gulf War.
Craigan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2018, 10:09 PM   #3
DrNRA
Bar Jude

AKaholic #: 176619

I thought the Iraqis produced a licensed copy of the Yugo M70?
Old 07-17-2018, 10:21 PM   #4
chillypepper

AKaholic #: 176015

I didn't know jack shit about ak's then, simply enough to know what one was (and only a tiny bit more now) . So not real help. We did get question and answer time on occasion with the higher up's and someone did ask where they get all this stuff and they said China. That could have been the simple answer just to move onto the next subject.

I do know that they made and had Iraqi copies of the High power. I would love to have one of those. Every time my brother did a tour there the second go round. I bugged the shit outta him to find me one and mail it one part at time to me. He didn't obviously, or I'd have one.
Old 07-17-2018, 10:33 PM   #5
Craigan

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrNRA View Post
I thought the Iraqis produced a licensed copy of the Yugo M70?
That's a Tabuk. Didn't see a whole lot of them.

As far as the high power clone, they also had a Beretta m1951 clone they called the Tariq.
Old 07-17-2018, 10:54 PM   #6
Sabre5G
The Mouth of Sauron

AKaholic #: 181719

They have and had lots of underfolders and yugos. RPDs, SKSs are still in action. I used to go on missions with a guy that had an RPD and belts around his chest like Rambo. He had hajji scribble tattoos and a cool guy doo rag.

Pretty much an M70ab2 and a Glock 19 is the standard Iraq loadout. Hell there were even hajjis with SIG556s. They believed the m-16 was much more powerful and desirable than the M-4 carbine. Their crew serves are duskahs with a big ass funnel brake and spider web site

The hajji likes an auto with a long barrel and a chopped off stock.
Northern Iraq youll see G-3s and more exotic weapons.

Zenith Z5RS MP5, PTR91 GIR, PTR91 K3P PDW, SLR104FR, VEPR 545 20.5, VEPR 762 20.5, 91/30, WASR 10, O PAP, M92, M70AB2, PSA AR15 Mid Length, SIG P320, G19, VP9
-//////-///
Originally posted by ColonelKorn

According to another long-term ALS survivor, Jason Becker, the disease doesn't affect the ability to lay pipe. Imagine Hawking's robot voice saying, "Yes. Yes. Shake those. Titties. Bitch.."
Sabre5G is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2018, 11:04 PM   #7
Craigan

^^ we had a mounted insurgent group that hit us a few times near Nasser wa-Salem that had a DsHK. Only one I ever saw over there. The IHP and Iraqi Army all had PKMs for their belt feds.

One of our section did a random turnaround before the Tharthar bridge and found that mounted group at Achmed's garage on the east side of MSR Mobile. Let them up and captured the DsHK. It was outside RCT5's headquarters for weeks, then who knows where it went to.

I have photos of all this shit somewhere. Anyway, Joker is a member here who was running security over there last year or so. He says there's still lots of trashed type 56's being used.

Last edited by Craigan; 07-17-2018 at 11:14 PM.
Old Yesterday, 01:14 AM   #8
Weaponmark
Curio & Relic
Vendor

AKaholic #: 176307

Sounds like a pair of 56-1's, one stamped, one milled.

They made both receiver models concurrently. Purpose built export models are L D marked, but Chinese character variants were also exported just the same.

Iraq brought in as much as they could from wherever they could procure them. They had a lot of money, and a lot of soldiers to arm, but didn't have the internal industry to supply them all. They worked with Yugoslavia to supply arms.

-The info on the extent of supply is not fully known. I've talked with Iraqis, and Serbians, and get conflicting info. I can further rely on examples in hand in which one can draw some conclusions from side by side comparisons.

**My own personal opinion is that there were 2- 3 stages of arms procurement with Yugoslavia.

1. Functioning arms. These would be non Tabuk marked, vanilla Yugo built rifles.

2. I am certain that Yugoslavia at least supplied individually finished components to Iraq for assembly. The craftsmanship on these components is absolutely identical, down to vibro etch journal marking, machine tool markings, barrel construction. I feel that the unique wood supplied to Iraq was "grade B" Yugo. It's is of the same species, but grain patterns are often larger and notably contrasting, and it is not uncommon to be mismatched in color, which you typically don't see in Yugo finished rifles. Perhaps Yugoslavia took extra steps to pair up shades. Also I believed they were procuring Yugo made rear sight blocks, and prepping them for Tabuk markings.

3: Fully produced and built Iraqi Tabuk. I have no info or proof that Iraq had a self sustaining Arms factory to fully produce a Tabuk rifle. The closest I have seen were the 1987-1988 factory marked rifles that still had Yugo produced components and these uniquely marked (for factory use only) rifles had problems, some of which had hairline cracked trunnions. Inspection revealed that the trunnion cracks were created before factory bluing, as bluing seeped into some internal voids created as a result. It is notable that at that time, there were variations to the RSB marking, not all featured the lion of Babylon. It is not understood why some did not have this iconic marking.

Sorry. I'm tired and ranting about Tabuks when you're asking about Chinese... So here's a side by side trunnion pic of what I think the two version you are referring to are, including the L D marked /26\

Want to save money building AND have the most authentic looking selector markings?

CLICK HERE!

LOOKING TO BUY: T2 OR T3 SOVIET THREADED AK47 BARREL

WTB APEX PURCHASED POLISH NSP3 SCOPE MARKED AKMSL PC00053 NrL-90058. It's out there!!!

Weaponmark is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 01:45 AM   #9
Sabre5G
The Mouth of Sauron

AKaholic #: 181719

The Tabuk DMR is one bad fucking ass rifle. In theory many could argue that the long barrel won’t give much velocity and it is some dumb fudd stick. I think it is very interesting because it was one of the only semi auto Kalashnikov rifles ever issued and had a long ass barrel and was a milspec trunnuns forged yugo Iraqi.

Zenith Z5RS MP5, PTR91 GIR, PTR91 K3P PDW, SLR104FR, VEPR 545 20.5, VEPR 762 20.5, 91/30, WASR 10, O PAP, M92, M70AB2, PSA AR15 Mid Length, SIG P320, G19, VP9
-//////-///
Originally posted by ColonelKorn

According to another long-term ALS survivor, Jason Becker, the disease doesn't affect the ability to lay pipe. Imagine Hawking's robot voice saying, "Yes. Yes. Shake those. Titties. Bitch.."
Sabre5G is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 06:37 AM   #10
AK74NOLA
Flashys Idol.

AKaholic #: 193147

A lot of chinese rifles.

Ran into a bunch of Type 67 GPMGs in Mosul.
AK74NOLA is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 06:43 AM   #11
dan326
Curio & Relic
Contributor

AKaholic #: 169937

Quote:
Originally Posted by AK74NOLA View Post
A lot of chinese rifles.

Ran into a bunch of Type 67 GPMG’s in Mosul.
I ran into quite a few Chinese rifles in 2004.
The majority were Romanian and second were Chinese.
Saw Egyptian and Yugo's, also.

RPK's were Romy I believe.
Couple RPD's and PKM's but was not given the opportunity to look them over.
The one RPG launcher that I handled was a ((10)).

One Russian SVD I saw that was carried around by an "ING Captain".
He went into a city one night and I never saw him again.

Regret not stripping the Chinese rifles of their furniture and spike bayonets.